Friday, April 11, 2008

Ritual Sacrifice or Beauty Customs?

Last night, Dylan and I had a dinner party to attend. This may not seem like a big deal to most people, but I have recently realized I tend to suck at being appropriately attired. As such, I am trying desperately to learn how to be dressy, but not too dressy, and just what exactly the term "business casual" means. I go to work in jeans and cute tops with sandals or flip flops typically. Dressy days I will actually wear slacks, but I feel ridiculous and normally pair them with a t-shirt and vest. I love skirts. The majority of my summer attire includes a skirt. And a random shirt that may or may not match. That is just how it is. I am never really faulted for it. Except at dinner parties.

Dinner parties are different. Art events are different. I don't know how, but they are. Maybe I am just compelled to conform, who knows. Whatever it is, I am having to learn to consciously match and coordinate. Very trying for a gal who goes out of her way not to do so. Last night I wore an adorable melon colored dress with gold bangles, gold chandelier earrings, and gold Jesus sandals. (See the color coordinating? I know I was proud of myself.) I thought I looked great. I am learning men have a different opinion. According to Dylan, I had no "shape" and resembled a "Grecian pumpkin". This empire waist craze will be the death of me.

It did occur to me while trying to get ready that men do not have this problem. Dylan came home, took a shower, shaved, put on his suit sans tie, and was ready to go. I however, came home, took a shower, shaved legs, lotioned, dried hair with a diffuser, curled strategic pieces, plucked eyebrows, painted toe- and fingernails, put in contacts, put on make-up, put hair up, got dressed, stood in front of mirror, took hair down, put on jewelry and shoes, stood in front of mirror, switched jewelry and shoes, decided to put hair back up, stood in front of mirror, switched shoes, and left. Being a girl is hard work. I do like the painted nails look. They are gold like my toes. Fun to see flash while I type. I doubt they will make it through the weekend. Dylan is fond of it though. And that is another interesting point. Why do men seem to be the most fond of appearances that take the most effort? It is rather tricky to paint nails left-handed when you are a righty. Oh well.

I am including a clip from Dove. I feel this statement is so true for our society. I am no different. I paint Cecelia's toes once a week, I spend $18 for hair spray especially designed for her curly tresses, and I don't let her pick out her own clothes because frankly the combinations are too ghastly for me to bear. (I know: bad Mommy, no biscuit.)

And I am still willing to pay up to $150 for a decent pair of blue jeans. I just haven't found them yet!

No comments: