Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Hi, My name is Alyson and I'm a blogger.

As if I do not have enough on my plate, I am adding blogging to the list. It seems this grand fad is here to stay and I might as well follow everyone else's lead. Where to begin, is there a typical beginning for one of these?

This past weekend, I traveled to Memphis to catch up with a few old friends. The purpose of the trip was to see Jessica, a recent addition to the "human incubator" club, but she was sweet enough to let me disappear to catch up with Jordan as well.

Memphis was nice. I got to have a much needed visit with Jessica, and spent way too much time in Babies R' Us continually insisting that yes, she should register for outlet covers, because one can never have enough safety products. She had a baby shower for one of her friends on Saturday and I snuck away to visit Jordan.

Here is where I am going to share a rather odd occurrence. I had yet to see J's house and was thrilled to learn I only had to drive 4 blocks to get there. However, upon my arrival I learned they were not back from running errands. It was amazingly sweet of them to leave me a means into their house until they arrived. (By this I mean I think they forgot to lock it.) I LOVE their house. It is gorgeous, and it suits them perfectly.

I want to go on record that one of the strangest feelings on the planet is waiting for someone in their house while they are gone. Especially if you have never been there before. I felt like there were Nanny-cams hidden throughout waiting for me to open the medicine cabinets. J told to me look around and I did, politely, and four minutes later had no clue what to do with myself. Typically it would be then that I would turn on the TV. I tried, I failed. (Saunders- if you have been trying to figure out why there is sound and no picture now you know why!) I picked out one of the books on the self. I sat down to read.

I read the note from the author, realized I was freezing, and there were no throws. It seemed perfectly logical to assume if I had dry hair I would be warm. I just needed a hairdryer. I went to the guest bathroom, (why there would be a spare hairdryer there I don't know), but I hated going into their bathroom. There was no hairdryer in the guest bath. I proceeded into the bedroom. I am sure at this point I looked insane as I began to talk to myself and chant what I was doing and why. I felt certain the invisible Nanny-cams would understand my plight if I spoke it aloud. There was no hairdryer in the master bath. But adjoining the bath was the closet, and in the closet was a dresser, and in the dresser there might be socks. Socks, that would work. I once again loudly announced I was just trying to get warm and was switching plans to hunting socks. Top drawer, no socks, second drawer- Bingo. I chose a lovely gray pair with white polka dots and went back to the living room with a book. (Yes, I do see the similarities in this story and "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie.")

I read the prologue. I was still freezing. Back to search for hairdryer. At last I located it. Next to the bed?!? I started to use it and then managed to suck my hair into the back, and smell that wonderful burning hair scent as I ripped the section from my scalp. I now have a small significantly shorter patch somewhere in the back. (It is probably karma for messing up their TV/surround sound combo.) With hair dry and warm toes, I went back to sit and read the next chapter.

I got thirsty. I found a cup. The cup selection was difficult I might add. I did not want glass for fear I would break it. I instead chose a plastic insulated cup to make sure I would not need a coaster in case one could not be located. I went to get water out of the fridge and managed to pour water all over the fridge door and floor due to the fact that the insulated layer made it too big to fit above the ledge. Found paper towels. Hunted and found trash can. Went back and began to read-again.

It was then that they finally came back. Thank the Lord, because I am sure next I would accidentally set their couch on fire. It was like some bad comedy of errors. I kept waiting for someone to jump out of the closet and go "Ah Ha!" And yet, when I explained that I used the hairdryer and got socks, neither Jordan nor Saunders seemed phased at all. So I guess they have people break into their house frequently and put on their clothes and use their appliances or I am just known for bizarre behavior. Either way, thanks for the socks!

1 comment:

tlm said...

Welcome to the world of blogging! I hope that you find it as enjoyable as my husband does. Before he started blogging, I was the only member of our household who took pictures - now a camera goes everywhere with us.

I like your title, too. It reminds me of our days at MSMS.